My lentil obsession began when I realized there's about 18g of protein per cup! When you're super active like I am, you may need more protein than the average Jan and it's nice to have a healthy "go-to" you don't have to get too creative with. That being said, all of our lentil recipes have been easy peasy so far. There are many lentil varieties, so you can change it up and never get bored! We started out with a lentil salad as part of our #SimpleSaladSeries. I then, made my way to our red lentil soup, and coming soon . . . lentil veggie burgers a.k.a. my fiancé's new favorite burger (thank goodness)! And let me tell you this . . . I have been eating this soup all week and I'm still not sick of it! I made it pretty spicy and I am addicted to the kick :D
WHAT YOU NEED:
Ground curry powder
Bell pepper (red or green)
Vegan, Red Lentil Soup
VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE
total time: 35 min
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground curry powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 bell pepper (red or green), stemmed, seeded & diced
- 2 cups rinsed red lentils
- 8 cups organic vegetable broth
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- *spicy option: 1/2 of a large jalapeno pepper, hot red pepper, or 1/2 -1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (I used one teaspoon of crushed red peppers while it was simmering - I like a lot of spice)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and ginger with a few pinches of salt. Cook until tender about 6 minutes. Add bell peppers (+ jalapeño and hot peppers - *spicy) for a few more minutes.
- Add lentils and broth. Bring to a broil, then simmer until lentils are tender, 20-25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro or parsley!
- Refrigerator: about 5 days, covered
- Freezer: 4-6 months, in airtight container
Like this post? Try some other vegan soups!
Homemade Split Pea Soup
Cucumber Dill Bisque
Kale & Chickpea Minestrone
DON'T MISS TFC UPDATES!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, PLUS, INSTA, & FB!
SIGN UP FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND HEALTHY LIVING RESOURCES VIA EMAIL!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy