Simple Salad Series
8 ingredients or less
Homemade salad dressing
This salad holds a special little place in my heart because of where I was when I found the inspiration for it. ;)
When my fiancé was transferred to San Diego, we decided to take a trip out there to find him a place to live. We had only been together for about 6 months, so I planned to stay here in AZ while he tested the waters of California for both of us. When we got to SD, I realized we were staying in the heart of Del Mar, right next to the race tracks. It was such a cute little area and I was loving SD already! Upon arrival, we dropped off our bags and headed straight to the restaurant for a quick bite to eat. When we got upstairs to turn it in for the night, I was staring out the window enjoying the beautiful California views. I heard Marek in the background yell, "Grab your journal app and type, this is when . . ." I typed it into my journal app and turned around a little confused . . . He was there in front of me on one knee and said "This is when . . . Marek proposed. Will you marry me, Coreen?"
You may be wondering what all this has to do with a dairy free, kale caesar salad! Well . . . when we woke up the next morning (our first day as an engaged couple), we walked across the street to the cutest juice and smoothie shop called Beaming.
On the menu
Hydraulic Cold-Pressed Organic Juice • Superfood Smoothies • Soup + Salad • Raw Food • Superfood Snacks
I knew I loved this place already! When we walked in, we were offered samples of smoothies on and off the menu. At this point . . . let's just say - we both starting drinking the beaming kool aid :D We grabbed a smoothie and a kale caesar salad. I think we also grabbed about 5 other things . . . just to taste. Together, Marek and I demonstrate the impulse control levels of about a 3 year old and a 5 year old child without parents around.
At the time, Beaming was brand new. The next time we went back, there was a line out the door. Apparently we weren't the only ones who started drinking the kool aid (or shall I say kale aid) in Del Mar!
WHAT YOU NEED
- raw organic cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
- lemon juice
- raw honey (*vegan -agave/sweetener of choice)
- dried onion flakes
- fresh basil
- fresh herbs of choice
- garlic (minced)
Kale Caesar Salad
SIMPLE SALAD SERIES
VEGAN (OPTION) + GLUTEN FREE
total time: 10 min
- 1 bunch organic kale (de-stem)
- 1 cup fennel, shaved
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- cashew dressing (to taste)
- 1 cup raw organic cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (*vegan -use agave or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh herbs of choice
- 2-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Mix dressing: Put the soaked drained nuts in a vitamix blender and then add up to 1 cup of clean water to blend well. Add remaining ingredients until creamy.
- De-stem the kale and massage kale with lemon juice, a little olive oil and salt & pepper (to soften and reduce the bitterness of the kale). Add cashew dressing, shaved fennel, goji berries and sprinkle with hemp seeds.
Other salads in our #SimpleSaladSeries!
DON'T MISS TFC UPDATES!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, PLUS, INSTA, & FB!
SIGN UP FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND HEALTHY LIVING RESOURCES VIA EMAIL!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy