When my fiancé and I first got engaged, he was all about impressing me. Normally, he's a sneak-eating, fried chicken lovin', pizza ordering GUY. . . But when we met?! Shooooot . . . He pulled out all the stops. He brought me flowers every week, drank my crazy juice every morning and voluntarily participated in the Martha Stewart "Action Plan 2013." This is what we call courtship, my friends. You will figure out who your man is in about a year . . . And hopefully, you will like the real him even more ;)
The reason I bring this up is because we really did do the Martha Stewart Action Plan! If you want to try a cleanse while you eat (only homemade food), I absolutely suggest this one. After one week, I felt completely different. I think I was literally skipping out of bed in the morning!
My favorite recipe from this cleanse was the homemade cleansing broth. Since I make a ton of homemade soups now, I realize the importance of broth flavor in the whole soup. The name of this broth rings so true as it honestly feels cleansing while you eat or drink it!
Here are three ways to use this broth:
- Use broth in recipes as veggie broth or stock.
- Keep veggies from broth separation and eat it as a soup (with the veggies).
- Drink warm broth as a hot elixir.
WHAT YOU NEED:
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Homemade Cleansing Broth
VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE
Makes: 8 Cups
Total time: 30 min
- 1 large chopped onion
- 6 chopped carrots
- 1/2 head chopped celery
- 1 halved head garlic
- 2 chopped large sweet potatoes
- 12 cups water
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub and chop all veggies: onion, carrots, garlic (halved) celery and sweet potatoes. I always chop with my Ninja, it's so easy! :D
- In a large pot, cover onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and sweet potatoes with water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and parsley and simmer five minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Strain liquid and store vegetables separately.
- This is a perfect broth to make on Monday for the week ahead!
- Refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking in covered container
- Refrigerator: 5 Days
- Freezer: 4-6 months in airtight container or heavy duty freezer bags
DON'T MISS TFC UPDATES!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, PLUS, INSTA, & FB!
Sign up for exclusive content and healthy living resources via email!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy
RECIPE INSPIRATION: Whole Living