I know it's not quite fall, but I can't wait to get back into soups!! Our soups are so delicious and healthy, but the best part is they're easy to make ahead of time! This hearty lentil soup is a perfect make-ahead meal for the family and for lunch at the office the next day. Lentils are full of protein and if you want to leave out the potatoes or use sweet potatoes, it tastes just as good!
Spicy Lentil Soup with Red Potatoes
VEGAN+ GLUTEN FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 45 min.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground curry powder
- *spicy option: 1/2 of a large jalapeño pepper, hot red pepper, or 1/2 -1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (I used one teaspoon of crushed red peppers while it was simmering - I like a lot of spice)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups rinsed red lentils
- 8 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 red potatoes, chopped and steamed (keep slightly undercooked)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and ginger with a few pinches of salt. Cook until tender about 6 minutes. Add any peppers (*spicy - jalapeño, hot peppers, crushed red peppers, etc.) for a few more minutes.
- Add lentils, broth, and bay leaves. Bring to a broil, then simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Cut red potatoes into quarters and steam until slightly undercooked - then cut into desired smaller size. When lentils are about 5 minutes from done, add potatoes to soup until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro!
- Refrigerator: about 5 days, covered
- Freezer: 4-6 months, in airtight container