Homemade spaghetti sauce is a staple in our home. If I'm trying to be really good, I'll serve it over spaghetti squash or vegetables noodles, but most of the time, I pair it with brown rice noodles, garnished with fresh chopped basil.
*Note: For vegan marinara, simply eliminate the meat and you'll love it just the same!
I tend to make large batches because the leftovers are even better! There's something about the sauce marinating for a day or two that really brings out the natural flavors. Not only will we eat the homemade spaghetti for lunch or dinner throughout the week, but we often recycle it into a new recipe like our polenta lasagna.
Spaghetti Sauce from Scratch
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 1 hr 15 min.
- 1 lb ground beef (pasture raised, hormone and antibiotic free - grass fed)
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 large carrots
- 3 large celery stalks
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper (optional for *spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt + freshly ground pepper
- 2, 28 oz cans organic crushed tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- optional: garnish with fresh basil
- Heat a large pot over medium-high flame. Add ground beef until it starts to brown.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the celery, carrots, (optional) jalapeño or serrano pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5- 10 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bay leaves. Simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti squash or brown rice noodles. Garnish with fresh basil for extra flavor!