In our 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Mousse, I briefly mentioned what growing up with my dad was like and how our good friends at Houston's managed mealtime a couple days per week. Whatever our schedules were like, Tuesdays guaranteed a Murphy appearance. Tuesday equaled "Tortilla Soup Day" and I think the availability only one day per week made it even more delicious than it already was. Their tortilla soup still tops the charts in my mind and just dreaming about it, I can still taste the slightly chunky, creamy chicken base covered with chopped avocado!
I never realized how easy homemade tortilla soup was, until I watched Michael Symon make it on The Chew. AND . . . most tortilla soup recipes call for corn tortillas, making them naturally gluten free!
This recipe also caters to vegans and meat eaters. For a vegan version, simply eliminate the chicken. For added protein, simply follow the instructions below and chop up some leftover rotisserie or poached chicken meat. Easy peasy!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 2 jalapeños or one Serrano pepper (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 14 .5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups bone or cleansing broth
- 2 corn tortillas (torn into pieces)
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken (shredded) about 2 Cups
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice or juice of half a lime
- fried tortilla strips or chopped up corn chips
- cilantro leaves
- diced avocado
- lime wedges (to garnish)
- hot sauce to taste
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot and sauté over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and begin to sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic and jalapeños and sauté for 2-3 more minutes. Add in the cumin, season with salt and pepper and cook for a minute more.
- To the base of a blender or food processor, puree fire roasted tomatoes. Add the sautéed onion mixture, the tortillas and a 1/4 cup of the chicken stock. Blend starting on low and slowly increasing the speed until pureed.
- In a medium/large pot, heat over medium high heat. Add in the pureed mixture and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the rest of the broth/stock and stir to combine. Add in the shredded chicken and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the juice of half a lime and some hot sauce to taste.
- Serve garnished with fried tortilla strips, cilantro, and avocado.
TO MAKE FRIED TORTILLA STRIPS
Heat about 2 inches of oil to 350°F in a shallow heavy bottomed pan. Add in tortilla strips and fry for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Serve as a garnish on soups or salads.