I just got back from a weekend with my in-laws and all I can think about is pierogis! If you're unfamiliar with pierogis, they taste like a Polish dumpling – first boiled, then baked or fried, usually in butter with onions. Traditionally they are stuffed with potato filling, but we had so much fun experimenting with sweet potatoes, jalapeños, and farmer's cheese from the Polish market :) I can't wait to post all about it!
I was all geared up to have pierogis posted first, when I came down with a mean cold that has kept me in bed for days (hence this is my first post all week). And to be honest, I am still in bed . . . Yuk!
Once I started feeling under the weather, all I could think about was soup . . . Creamy and rich flavors of fall including sweet potatoes and roasted vegetables. It warms my body just thinking about it!
And since we didn't post the pierogis, we kept the spirit of family alive by photographing this heartwarming soup in our hand-painted cups from Poland . . . A wedding gift from my husband's parents.
Creamy Sweet Potato + Roasted Parsnip Soup
Entree or Side
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
active time: 20 min.
total time: 1 hr.
- 6 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 c cashews
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- fresh pepper
- olive oil
- minced red peppers
- Peel, rinse and chop parsnips. Place in prep bowl and set aside.
- Peel rinse and chop sweet potatoes. Measure, then place in prep bowl and set aside.
- Chop onion. Place in prep bowl and set aside.
- Measure oils, spices, etc. (olive oil, cumin, apple cider vinegar, and cashews) and place in separate, small prep bowls.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine parsnips, onion, and (unpeeled) garlic cloves. Toss with olive oil, cumin, and salt. Place in large rimmed roasting pan. Roast vegetables until fragrant and browning, about 45 min.
- Combine vegetable stock and sweet potatoes in soup pot. Heat to a gentle boil and cook until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat and set pot aside.
- Remove vegetables from oven and remove garlic skins when cool enough to touch. Combine roasted vegetables and sweet potato stock. Blend in batches until smooth.
- Blend cashews with 2 cups soup mixture and 2 cups filtered water on high until creamy. Add creamy cashew mix to the rest of soup.
- Before serving, cover soup and heat over low/medium heat. Garnish with parsley, minced red peppers, and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.