Fuji Apple and Butternut Squash Soup
Entree or Side
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 fuji apple, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4- 5 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- thyme sprigs
- greek yogurt (vegan leave out)
- Peel and chop onions and garlic. Place in prep bowl and set aside.
- Peel and cube apple and squash. Measure, then place in prep bowl and set aside.
- Measure oils, spices, etc. (coconut oil, thyme,nutmeg, ginger, salt & pepper) and place in separate, small prep bowls
- Sauté onion, garlic, and bay leaf in large saucepan with coconut oil for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Add cubed squash, apple, 4 cups veggie broth and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Let cool slightly. Remove bay leaf, then add to vitamix, blender or food processor until smooth. Add more broth for desired consistency. Add purée back to saucepan.
- Add salt and pepper and heat until warm.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs (I used cilantro in photo) and an (optional) dollop of greek yogurt.