Most of you know about my addictive sweet tooth and my struggle to control it. When it comes to sweets, this little monster rarely discriminates. Although it doesn't discriminate, it does love to play favorites :D
As a kid, I was obsessed with Nutty Bars and pretty much anything that included peanut butter and chocolate. These Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Bars taste like my favorite old school nutty bars mixed with a peanut butter granola bar . . . A perfect fix of healthy, sweet ingredients!
I like to make a healthy sweet for the week ahead so if I get a craving, I eat a healthy sweet versus to a processed sweet. These bars are the best of both worlds . . . kid and parent approved!
No-Bake Chocolate-Almond Oat Bars
Snack or Sweet
VEGAN+ GLUTEN FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 3 hrs. 15 min.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup local honey (vegan sub - maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups rolled old-fashioned oats (gf)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1.25 cups vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt (salt is key!)
- Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment, leaving 2 inches of overhang on 2 sides. Melt almond butter, honey, and coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, stirring until chocolate has melted and ingredients are well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens, at least 3 hours but preferably overnight. Run a knife around edges, then use parchment to remove from pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bars bars and refrigerate..
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- Make for the week ahead and when you need something sweet or a snack, reach for these! Store in refrigerator with wax paper in between rows of bars.
RECIPE INSPIRATION: Martha Stewart Living