When I was a kid, I LOVED rice krispie treats . . . And who am I kidding . . . I still love rice krispie treats! Only now, the thought of store bought marshmallows completely grosses me out. Corn syrup, sugar and cornstarch are the main ingredients along with some other food coloring and chemicals I can't pronounce . . . Not exactly desirable ingredients for you or your children.
But what if I told you there's a way to make healthy rice krispie treats full of wholesome ingredients? That's exactly what I'm telling you folks and guess what?!? They taste just as good as the original.
These tasty treats are made up of the following ingredients: brown rice crisps, sunflower seed butter, coconut oil, hemp seeds, honey and vegan dark chocolate. A little bit healthier than your corn syrup and sugar treats ;) When healthy, wholesome foods taste just as good (if not better) it always makes me wonder how we ever got so off course.
Healthy Rice Krispie Treats
SWEET OR SNACK
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
active time: 10 min.
total time: 3hrs. 10 min.
- 4 cups brown rice crisps (I used THESE - found them at Sprouts)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter or almond butter (I used this)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup honey (vegan - substitute sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- optional: 1/4 cup carob nibs
Dark chocolate Topping: 1 cup vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- Warm nut/seed butter, coconut oil, and honey over low heat until melted and well combined
- Add vanilla, hemp seeds, and brown rice crisps to mixture and combine. If using cacao nibs, add them here
- Spray 8x8 pan with coconut oil spray. Spread mixture evenly and flatten. Refrigerate for 3 hours - overnight.
- To add a layer of dark chocolate topping
- About 1 hour before serving, melt dark chocolate over low heat. Pour melted dark chocolate over treats and spread evenly. Refrigerate for an hour until chocolate is hard or freeze for about 20 minutes.