Summer brings with it a vibrant and beautiful color range of produce. We're talking bright colors here . . . colors that will make your pantones jealous. And when beautiful produce is combined with perfectly seasoned fruit, you get a taste-bud-popping plate of summer bliss! Served as a simple salad or appetizer, your guests will be refreshed and delighted without filling up before dinner. The addition of ricotta cheese, garnished with champagne vinegar (or dessert wine), allows a smooth transition from a before-dinner salad to an after-dinner dessert.
Since the recipe highlights the natural flavors of whole foods, look for fresh and organic ingredients from your local farmers.
Beet, Plum, and Ricotta Salad
Salad or Dessert
total time: 30 min
- 3 medium beets, trimmed, scrubbed and quartered
- 3 plums, pitted and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- 3 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Steam beets with skins on (to keep color vibrant) until tender. Let cool, then remove skins and slice into smaller pieces (if desired).
- Arrange beets, plums and ricotta on platter. Drizzle with vinegar and oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with basil leaves and serve.
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- Steam beets the night before and refrigerate in airtight container. When ready for salad, slice beets, plums and add remaining ingredients!
RECIPE INSPIRATION: Martha Stewart Living