I have a confession.
When I was younger and traveling a lot for gymnastics, I was obsessed with The Olive Garden. I would order unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks and I ALWAYS went for seconds. As I got older, my taste in restaurants changed . . . But my craving for that Pasta e Fagioli never went away.
So I searched long and hard to figure out a way I could make this soup . . . In a way that fits my new lifestyle of course (no gluten, meat, or dairy). So check it out. You will LOVE it!
Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
serves about 8
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup julienned carrot
- 3 stalks chopped celery
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2, 14.5-oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1, 15-oz can red kidney beans with liquid (sometimes a use only half the can so its less thick)
- 1, 15-oz can great northern beans with liquid (sometimes a use only half the can so its less thick)
- 12 - oz v8 juice or vegetable juice like it
- 24 -oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 lb ditali brown rice pasta or quinoa pasta (optional)
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, and garlic for 10 min.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
- About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook pasta for 7-10 minutes of until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
- Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.