For some reason, I had it in my head that I can no longer enjoy the sweet, hearty flavors of split pea soup because I don't eat ham . . . Say WHAT?!?! I know . . . What was I thinking?!?
Yes, this soup is without ham, but our recipe will make you wonder why you ever made it with ham! It tastes shockingly complete on its own and it's easy and delicious to the point of craving. Enjoy!
Oh yeah - peas are totally in season :D
WHAT YOU NEED:
Dried split peas
Salt + pepper
Homemade Split Pea Soup
VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE
total time: 45 min
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots with a few pinches of salt. Cook until tender.
- Add split peas, broth, water, celery seed, and salt + pepper. Bring to a broil, then simmer until peas are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Pulse soup in blender until desired consistency or leave it the way it is. I notice it's a little sweeter when it's blended as the carrot will add sweetness. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerator: about 5 days, covered
- Freezer: 4-6 months, in airtight container
Like this post? Try some other vegan soups!
Cucumber Dill Bisque
Kale, Chickpea & Vegetable Minestrone
DON'T MISS TFC UPDATES!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, PLUS, INSTA, & FB!
SIGN UP FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND HEALTHY LIVING RESOURCES VIA EMAIL!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy