We all know cornbread and we all know blueberry muffins, so you can imagine my delight when I tasted the world's best combination of the two. Inspired by the beautiful, artistic pastries at LUX (one of my favorite coffee shops in Phoenix) my relaxing breakfast turned into a "I-must-recreate-this" obsession, starting way before I even left the building. I couldn't help but question and wonder why I've never tried such a simple, delectable muffin myself. Luckily, I had some cornbread mix ready to go from the gluten free bakery next door, so I mixed it up, threw in some frozen berries, and topped it off with sugar crystals to add a hint of sweet nothing to the top . . . Perfecto . . . mission/obsession complete.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Gluten Free Cornbread Mix
- unsweetened applesauce
- mixed berries (I used a mix of frozen blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- a thin layer of coconut oil + sprinkled sugar on the top
Mixed Berry Cornbread Muffins
BREAD, SIDE, BRUNCH
GLUTEN FREE, SOY FREE
serves: 24 muffins
active time: 5 min.
total time: 35 min.
- Gluten Free Cornbread Mix (from my favorite GF bakery)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1- 2 cups mixed berries (I used a mix of frozen blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
a thin layer of coconut oil + sprinkled sugar on the top.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, and applesauce. Mix in cornbread mixture until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add mixed berries to batter. Pour batter into greased muffin tins (about 2/3 full). Cook 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through (insert knife into muffin and it will come out clean).
- Garnish: Brush a thin layer of coconut oil to tops of muffins + sprinkle sugar on top
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- Follow PREP directions the day before.
- When ready to eat, follow COOK directions.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
or anywhere else . . .
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy