When I was in Washington D.C. I came across an amazing restaurant called Founding Fathers. Normally when I'm in a different city, I rarely go to the same restaurant twice, but Marek and I were so impressed by our dinner, we went back a second time for breakfast! And let me tell you, the second round did not disappoint!
When I realized they sold a cookbook at the restaurant, needless to say, I had to buy one. Leaving no time to waste, I went through the whole cookbook from front to back that night in the hotel. It was everything I hoped for and WAY more. In addition to the amazing recipes fresh off the menu, it includes tips on how to pick seafood and beef, how to build the perfect burger, personal introductions to their farmer and Executive Chef, and soooo much more. As you can tell, I highly recommend this book!
The cornbread at Founding Farmers is killer. I tried the original recipe and then I did what I do . . . I "healthified" it ;) I made it gluten free and then instead of using cream, sour cream, eggs and sugar, we used coconut cream, flax eggs, coconut sugar, and greek yogurt. I also like a little sweet flavor so I coated the top with a thin layer of maple syrup. I found the healthified version is even more moist, which I love :D.
WHAT YOU NEED
- maple syrup
- whipped butter & raw honey
2, 6 INCH SKILLETS
Gluten Free Skillet Cornbread
GLUTEN FREE, SOY FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 40 min.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil + more for coating skillets
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons flaxmeal + 6 Tablespoons hot water. Let set until gel-like, about 15 min.)
- 3/4 cup creamed corn - SEE RECIPE BELOW
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free corn bread mix
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- maple syrup (last five minutes of cooking)
- whipped butter & raw honey
Homemade Creamed Corn (v+gf)
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vegan butter (I use earth balance)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in pot over medium heat.
- Add corn and stir to mix well.
- Pour in coconut cream, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Combine all wet ingredients and mix well. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Fold dry ingredients into wet, then fold in frozen corn.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil to coat 2, 6 inch skillets. Place pans in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove hot skillets from the oven and evenly divide the batter between them. Bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on top. When there's about 5 minutes left, brush top with a thin coat of maple syrup. Serve hot with raw honey and whipped butter (I whipped them together to make a honey butter - YUM!)
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- Follow PREP directions the day before.
- When ready to eat, follow COOK directions.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
or anywhere else . . .
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy
RECIPE INSPIRATION: Founding Farmers