Back in high school, my family and I frequented a NY deli called bagels and bialys. There was nothing like the taste of these bagels. In fact, I didn't even eat mine with any cream cheese because the flavor was so bold on its own. The best part? . . . always served hot out of the oven! These slightly doughy bagels would literally steam as you pulled them apart, piece by piece. Just thinking about the smell of that place takes me to carb heaven in less than 60 seconds!
At the time (and height of the bagel craze), I always went for plain flavors. Less was more in my mind. But as I've grown up, I pretty much love a flavor explosion on my tastebuds.
This recipe will not disappoint the "everything" bagel lover or anyone who loves a flavor explosion as I do ;) It also serves beautifully for entertaining!
WHAT YOU NEED:
Dried minced onion
White Bean Hummus
VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE
total time: 5 min
- 1 can cooked white beans, drained and rinsed (white cannellini, great northern beans, or white kidney beans)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine dried onion, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sea salt and black pepper. Toss to mix.
- Add beans and roasted garlic to a food processor and pulse and blend until combined the beans begin to puree, about 2-3 minutes. With the processor still going, stream in olive oil and lemon juice. Blend continuously for a few minutes (and scraping down the sides if needed) until as smooth as desired. Add salt and taste but all seasonings will go on top.
Add hummus to a bowl and drizzle with extra olive oil. Pour everything seasoning overtop and serve immediately.
Serve with crackers (I love these)
Make hummus and store in refrigerator.
Mix topping and store separately so it's ready to top when you're ready to eat.
- Refrigerator: Refrigerate in airtight container for 4-7 days.
- Freezer: Freeze in airtight container 3-4 months - may lose some texture when thawed.
DON'T MISS TFC UPDATES!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, PLUS, INSTA, & FB!
Sign up for exclusive content and healthy living resources via email!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy
RECIPE INSPIRATION: How Sweet It Is