This is the third variation of our weekly "Farmer's Market Fresh" (#FMF) veggie, spaghetti squash! Remember the first two, Spaghetti Squash with Marinara and Spaghetti Squash Salad? Our latest recipe, spaghetti squash with hazelnuts and herbs, is so quick and easy, especially if you have leftover squash already cooked! Just add a few herbs and seasoning and you're good to go!!
This recipe is a great way to include a healthy, seasonal side dish to your Thanksgiving spread (that will ultimately be hiding under the gravy anyway)!
ROASTED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH HERBS
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds), halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or vegan butter (my fav), plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup blanched hazelnuts (1 ounce), toasted and coarsley chopped
- Optional (for vegan, leave out): 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- Cook Spaghetti Squash: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush cut sides of squash with oil, and sprinkle with sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Place squash, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly on sheet on a wire rack, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape squash with a fork to remove flesh in long strands. Place in a large bowl. Add oil or vegan butter, parsley, cilantro, hazelnuts, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper & optional: parmesan to taste. Toss, and serve immediately.
Recipe inspiration: Martha Stewart