QUINOA ACORN SQUASH RINGS
total time: 1 hr
- 1 acorn squash, cut into rings (remove seeds and guts)
- 1/3 C quinoa, COOKED
- 1/2 C vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 apple, cored and diced
- 2 T shredded sharp cheddar cheese (v) *leave out or use vegan cheese sub
- 1/4 C dried cranberries
- 1 T chopped sage
- 1 T chopped walnuts
- 1/4 C applesauce
- 1 + 1/2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 T maple syrup
- cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray)
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1 T coconut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion. Cook until onion is just beginning to brown, about 10 min. Add apple and cook about 5 minutes more, until apple is softened.
- In separate bowl, combine apple/onion mixture with quinoa, (optional) cheese, cranberries, sage, walnuts and applesauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray or oil and place squash rings on sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 T melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Brush tops and insides of squash rings with butter mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff quinoa filling into the center of each squash ring. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and squash is tender.
VIEW THE ENTIRE "THANKSGIVING IN THE CITY" HOLIDAY SPREAD
Don't miss TFC updates!
Follow us on PINTEREST, TWITTER, PLUS, INSTA, & FB!
Photos: Coreen Murphy
Recipe Inspiration: ohmyveggies.com