Even though Springtime is here and the Summer months are well on their way, I still crave a cleansing soup to warm to my body . . . It must be my Vata dosha :D The heartiness to our vegetable and brown rice soup doesn't come from meat, fats or salt, but soothing bone broth, green leafy vegetables and filling brown rice. I usually make a big batch for dinner and then finish it off throughout the week for lunch or as a side to a larger entree.
Hearty Vegetable & Brown Rice Soup
Entree, Side, Soup/Stew
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, CORN FREE, SOY FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 45 min.
- 1- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup brown rice (I used a brown, basmati rice)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups bone broth or cleansing broth
- 1 parmesan rind (to keep vegan, leave out)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- (optional) 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 cups dark leafy green like swiss chard or collard greens
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- spicy sausage or ground beef
- chopped chives or green onions
- gluten free toast
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add brown rice until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, celery, leek, fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add bone broth, parmesan rind, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered until brown rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- With about 10 minutes left, add in shredded cabbage, (optional) chopped cucumber, dark leafy greens, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- After about 10 min, remove parmesan rind and bay leaf.
- Add optional garnishes and serve!