If you have family coming in town for the Holidays, you're most likely looking for ways to get the biggest bang for your buck. One recipe - multiple ways, is a great way to save money and time . . . two things that fall scarce this Holiday season.
Spanish quinoa is a healthy and flavorful make ahead recipe that may be used in at least four different recipes. It may be served as a side, filling for tacos or enchiladas, stuffed inside the peppers, or underneath a poached egg for a breakfast "bennie." Believe me, they are ALL fantastic and it will look like a new recipe each time!
Breakfast, Side, Entree
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
serves: about 6
active time: 10 min.
total time: 15 min.
- 1-2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Optional garnish: fresh basil
- Cook quinoa.
- Chop peppers and onion.
- Measure out spices, black beans, and quinoa.
- Warm 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil over medium/high heat.
- Sauté peppers and onions with a pinch of salt and pepper until softened.
- Add black beans, tomatoes, cooked quinoa, basil + cumin, and salt + pepper. Cook until all parts are warmed through.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
Enjoy as a side, a taco/enchilada/stuffed pepper filler, or as a base for eggs benedict.
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- Follow PREP directions the day before.
- When ready to eat, follow COOK directions.