If I go out to breakfast, I make it a rule to order something I can't make for myself at home. Most breakfast joints offer the same thing over and over again and I really hate paying for something I can make myself. . . something ordinary like scrambled eggs, bacon, or french toast.
I'm looking for something creative . . . something to inspire me or even shock me! I want to think in my head, "You can't do that at breakfast?!"
These griddlecakes are unique and fabulous. They are not your average pancake, but rather a cornbread/pancake hybrid. And instead of just adding syrup, we added a strawberry lemon puree to the mix. It's unique, it's delish, and something most people don't have in their recipe books at home!
with Strawberry Pureed Syrup
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, SOY FREE
serves: about 12 pancakes
active time: 10 min.
total time: 15 min
- 1 cup all purpose GF flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 t baking soda
- 2 t baking powder
- 2 T flaxseed
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- Preheat a cast iron griddle or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. I used a pan for mini pancakes.
- Mix dry ingredients, then wet. Combine dry with wet.
- Spoon the batter onto a lightly greased griddle or pan. When bubbles form on top flip the griddle cakes, about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Serve griddle cakes drizzled with strawberry lemon puree, maple syrup and pancakes.
Recipe inspired by Daphne Oz from The Chew
Strawberry Pureed Syrup
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Add the strawberries, lemon juice and honey to blender, puree until smooth