Besides being an excellent vegan and gluten-free source of protein and fiber, chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) also contain exceptional levels of iron, vitamin B-6 and magnesium. That's why I love to snack on our Everything Hummus and/or add them to other recipes like our Crispy Chickpea and Kale Salad, Spicy Indian Stew, and Kale, Chickpea & Vegetable Minestrone.
This salad is so refreshing, but it's also a great make-ahead recipe. I always recommend a #SundayPrep to my readers, because it makes everything easier during the week. #SundayPrep is when you take time on Sunday to prepare make-ahead recipes for the week. Being prepared may either make or break your healthy eating plan, so be prepared next time you need a quick snack or small meal ASAP.
Marinated Chickpeas with Quinoa and Greens
Salad, Side or Snack
VEGAN+ GLUTEN FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 45 min.
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/4 cup scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 cups (1/2 bunch) dandelion greens, leaves and stalks (*use whatever greens you have - I used a mix of super greens like baby spinach, baby kale, and collards)
- grated zest of 1 lemon + 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Marinate chickpeas: whisk together lemon zest and juice, oil, and parsley in a bowl. Add chickpeas and season with salt and pepper flakes. Let stand 30 min.
- Combine salad ingredients: almonds, quinoa, scallions, tomatoes, and dandelion greens + stalks in a bowl. Add marinated chickpeas; toss to combine. Season with salt and serve!
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- Marinate chickpeas and combine salad ingredients the night before serving. Store separately in refrigerator. Before serving, add marinated chickpeas to combined salad ingredients; toss to combine. Season with salt and serve.