When I think of Presidents' Day, I think of "All-American" activities. And for some reason when I relate this "All-American" idea to food, I think of a breezy outdoor BBQ filled with family, fun and BBQ sauce for days . . .
Southern style cooking comes top-of-mind, so I decided to go with a healthier spin on a classic gumbo. If you have some leftover rotisserie chicken, you can whip this up in about 15 minutes!
Shredded Chicken Gumbo
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 25 min.
- .50 -.75 lbs of ground hot Italian beef sausage (locally sourced, organic, pasture raised and grass fed)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 2 cups frozen, cut okra
- 8 cups bone or cleansing broth
- 2-3 cups bok choy or dark leafy greens, chopped
- 1 cup shredded chicken meat (use cooked meat from a rotisserie or poached chicken)
- salt & pepper
- Warm large pot over medium heat. When pot is hot add Italian beef sausage. Let cook for a few minutes until pink is eliminated.
- Add garlic, leek, peppers, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender and meat starts to brown.
- Add bone broth and frozen okra. Bring to a boil. Add in shredded chicken and leafy greens for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to low. Let simmer for about 5 minutes or until chicken is warmed through.
- Season with salt & pepper and serve!