I'm not sure how other families work, but where I grew up, banana bread was one of those unique items deemed acceptable as breakfast and dessert. And believe me, I love a sweet bite on the way out the door. Our recipe contains gluten free flour, coconut sugar and flax eggs to keep it a little healthier than your average banana bread. I made it both ways, regular and with carob chips. I know it's shocking, but I prefer the one with the carob chips ;)
BREAKFAST, BRUNCH, SNACK
GLUTEN FREE, EGG FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
serves: about 10
active time: 10 min.
total time: 1 hr. 10 min.
- 2 ½ cups gluten free flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar (I used half cane sugar and half coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 mashed over ripe bananas
- ½ cup butter
- 2 flax eggs or eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*optional: dark carob/chocolate chips or walnuts
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients in separate mixing bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Add (optional) dark carob/chocolate chips and/or walnuts. In the photos, I used dark chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour batter into two greased loaf pans. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Insert toothpick and when it comes out clean, they are done. (I noticed it cooks a little quicker when I use eggs vs flx eggs
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- Follow PREP directions the day before.
- When ready to eat, follow COOK directions.