I don't think you'll find a soup that's more complete in healthy ingredients than this one. You have dark leafy greens, vegetable protein and plenty of other hearty vegetables to keep you energized until your next meal.
Most people don't realize how healthy sweet potatoes are. My trainer once told me that sweet potatoes are one of the most nutrient dense vegetables around and I should incorporate them into my daily veggie protocol. I put up no argument, because I was under the impression potatoes, in general, were the enemy! Well not the sweet ones my dears, which just happen to be my favorite. Now that I'm pregnant, I look for as many "super" ingredients as I can, so this soup is an excellent fit without breaking the calorie bank.
Another added bonus is the protein in this soup. Vegetable soups are hardly what you think of when you need a healthy source of protein, but just one cup of cooked lentils pack about 18 grams of protein. Truly amazing and delicious!
Lentil, Kale and Sweet Potato Stew
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
active time: 15 min.
total time: 45 min.
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- spicy- one jalapeño Serrano pepper
- 2-3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 large sweet potato, chopped
- 2 cups brown lentils or beans of choice, activated and cooked
- 8 cups bone broth
- 2 cups shredded kale
- juice of one lemon
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- handful of chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, cumin and thyme until onions have started to soften, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeño pepper, carrot, celery, sweet potato, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until veggies have softened.
- Add lentils and/or beans of choice with bone broth. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes. When all ingredients are tender, add kale and cook for final 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add lemon juice and fresh herbs to serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste.