Ever since I starting getting local produce delivered from our San Diego farmers, I am addicted to soups! If you haven't noticed, I probably post at least one soup recipe per week and that's because I'm making at least one pot per week. I love experimenting with all the seasonal flavors!
Soups are a great place to start incorporating more healthy, seasonal vegetables into your diet. This is especially true for individuals who are super busy and/or new to healthy cooking. I always recommend making a big pot of soup on Sunday or Monday to snack on throughout the week. The last thing we want to think about when we're starving is what to make! This way, you always have something healthy, homemade and fresh to snack on or take with you for lunch. No more excuses! :D
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Olive Oil
- Vegetable Broth
- Tomato Paste
- Diced tomatoes
- Gluten-free pasta (I used penne)
- Dried Basil
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Papper
Kale, Chickpea & Vegetable Minestrone
VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE
Total time: 40 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 carrots (mine were small as I get them from my CSA - about 2 market size)
4 stalks celery (also small from the CSA - about 2 market size)
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
6 cups vegetable broth
1 can tomato paste
1, 28 oz can organic diced tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-2 cups cooked, gluten-free pasta (I used a brown rice penne)
3 cups kale (I used Russian Kale from the farmer's market), ribs removed and chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried or basil
1/2 -1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (I used 1 - I like spice)
salt & pepper
- Scrub and chop all veggies: garlic, onion, carrots and celery.
- Warm 2 T of olive oil over medium heat in a soup pot. When hot, add garlic, onions, carrots and celery (seasoned with salt + pepper) until veggies become softened.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, oregano, red chili peppers and basil. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cook for another 10 min or until beans are warmed through.
- Add kale and gluten free pasta (cooked) for a couple minutes or until it starts to wilt and pasta is warmed through.
- Season with more salt, pepper and red chili peppers to taste.
- This is a perfect soup to make on Sunday or Monday for the week ahead!
- Refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking in covered container
- Refrigerator: 3-5 Days
- Freezer: 4-6 months in airtight container or heavy duty freezer bags
DON'T MISS TFC UPDATES!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST, TWITTER, PLUS, INSTA, & FB!
Sign up for exclusive content and healthy living resources via email!
PHOTOGRAPHY: Coreen Murphy
RECIPE INSPIRATION: Vegetarian Ventures