After my first trimester of pregnancy, I started eating meat again after about 7 years of vegetarian-ism, part of which was vegan-ism. And when I say I started eating meat again, I mean I pretty much dove in, head first. My first piece of meat was bacon and shortly there after I was on to steak, lamb and brisket. Yes, I have been known to be somewhat extreme in my choices.
This brisket is insanely delicious and made from only three ingredients. Quality brisket meat, BBQ sauce, and filtered water. By quality meat, I mean locally sourced and organic meat from grass fed, pasture raised cows. I used a 10 oz bottle of Xyla BBQ sauce which was quite delicious, but I always encourage making your own BBQ sauce if you can.
Keep reading for the full recipes and instructions . . .
Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE
serves: about 6
active time: 10 min.
total time: overnight
- 1.5 - 2 lbs frozen brisket
- 1 bottle (10 oz) of BBQ sauce (I used Xyla)
- 1/2 BBQ sauce bottle (5 oz) filtered water
- Chop frozen brisket into about 6, even portions.
- Add brisket, BBQ sauce, and filtered water to a slow cooker or crockpot. Cook on low for about 12 hours (overnight). Start to shred brisket and mix into sauce.
- About 2 hours before serving, put slow cooker on high for 1-2 hours or until brisket is tender enough to pull apart with just a fork.
Cabbage and Apple Salad
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE
serves: about 6
active time: 15 min.
total time: 15 min.
- 1/2 large cabbage (I used 1/4 red and 1/4 green), about 14 oz
- 1 lb shredded BBQ brisket (prepped - recipe above)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 crunchy red apple, diced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon dried cranberries
- 5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 2.5 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp raw runny honey
- Finely shred red cabbage and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Shake all dressing ingredients together in a jam jar and drizzle over the red cabbage.
- Heat coconut oil in pan over medium/high heat. Sauté onion and apple for a few minutes until softened. Add nuts for 30 seconds to warm through.
- Transfer everything to the large mixing bowl. Add cranberries and toss everything to combine.
- Top with warm BBQ brisket and serve!
Recipe inspiration for salad: The Art of Eating Well: Hemsley + Hemsley