original recipe from A Pinch of Yum's, "The best soft chocolate chip cookie" (I added some healthier twists)
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
GLUTEN & REFINED SUGAR FREE
prep time: 10 min.
total time: 20 min.
- 8 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1/2 cup organic, raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup packed coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups GF all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Microwave the butter for about 40 seconds to just barely melt it. It shouldn’t be hot – but it should be almost entirely in liquid form.
- Beat the butter with the sugars until creamy. Add the vanilla and the egg; beat on low speed until just incorporated – 10-15 seconds or so
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until crumbles form. Use your hands to press the crumbles together into a dough. It should form one large ball that is easy to handle (right at the stage between “wet” dough and “dry” dough). Add the chocolate chips and incorporate with your hands.
- Roll the dough into 12 large balls and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes until the cookies look puffy and dry and just barely golden. *DO NOT OVER-BAKE: Take them out even if they look like they’re not done yet. They’ll be pale and puffy.
- Let them cool on the pan for a good 30 minutes or so ...
Keep in an airtight container or freeze
- The 3 most important things about this recipe are
- melting the butter,
- adding enough flour
- not baking for too long.
- If you find that the dough is wet and it REALLY sticks to your hands, you probably need a little more flour. This is important otherwise you’ll have flat cookies. I’ll usually add a few tablespoons at a time to get it to the right consistency. You should be able to roll the balls of dough between your hands without any issues.
- Reference the BEST guide from A Pinch of Yum, pictured below: